Warmer weather is an invitation for fun outdoor activities like a dog picnic in the park and festive barbecues. And what better way to enjoy the fresh air than with your favorite canine friend? While you may enjoy sampling all of the tasty foods available, the same cannot be said for your pet.
Do you know which common foods pose a danger to your dog? Here are a few of the hazardous foodstuffs that you need to keep Fido away from if you want to avoid an unplanned trip to the vet!
Fatty snacks are delicious for humans to munch on, and dogs feel the same way about fatty bones! But neither of these items should be given to your pet. It’s tempting to throw a leftover bit of meat, or a bone, to your pooch especially when he gives you those puppy dog eyes. But resist temptation, especially if your animal is overweight or happens to be a Shetland sheepdog, Yorkshire terrier, or miniature schnauzer. These breeds, as well as overweight dogs, have a predisposition to pancreatitis, which is inflammation of the pancreas. Because the pancreas breaks down fat, it can easily be overwhelmed when an animal ingests too much of a good thing!
Currants, grapes, and raisins are all poisonous for dogs. Be vigilant to ensure that your dog doesn’t accidentally ingest trail mix or baked goods (like cookies) with raisins. Depending on your dog’s size, one or two raisins or grapes will likely be processed without any problems. But in greater quantities, these can cause diarrhea, vomiting, lethargy, excessive or decreased thirst or urination, and even kidney failure.
Affiliate links included below. Thanks for your support!
Xylitol is a common sugar substitute that can be deadly for dogs; accidental ingestion can cause liver failure and seizures. Xylitol poisoning causes dangerous insulin spikes in tandem with deadly drops in blood sugar. Be sure to check the labels on candy, gum, and baked goods, especially if you buy a lot of sugar-free items.
Peach pits and corn cobs are strangely attractive to dogs, but very dangerous! These items can become stuck in the intestines, necessitating abdominal surgery to eliminate. Never give a dog a corn cob; if it becomes lodged in the intestines, ruptures can occur, leading to death. If your dog insists on begging for some of your grub, you can safely give him a few shaved-off corn kernels!